This is the list of Bingley Camera Club Monday night meetings for the 2023/24 season. If you are a club member, there is a calendar page with all of the events, get togethers and other photography related events. To go to the Calendar click here
For some of our external speakers, if you click on their name it will open a new window taking you to their website or social media.
- Club Social - (Not an official event) Members and those thinking about becoming members are welcome to join us for a few drinks and social chatting at The Potting Shed, Bingley. 7.00pm Address - 94 Main St, Bingley BD16 2JH
- Meet the Club (Open Evening) - At this first meeting of the season, come along to meet fellow club members. The club committee will introduce themselves and present a few images from their recent work. Find out about what is in store for the season and we welcome prospective members and existing members alike.
- Mike Prince - A Quiet Beauty
- MIke Prince lives on the edge of the English Lake District. He is in his element on high ground far away from busy places, where he finds meditative peace, where ending up with a photograph is a bonus. His talk describes his photographic journey, preference for gentle weather conditions and approach to environmental issues.
- Practical night - Get your kit out (and get out of auto) - Bring your camera to the club. A chance to talk with others about making the most of your kit, with a support for less experienced photographers who want to 'get out of auto mode'.
- Tim Smith - Ukraine: Memories of Empire
- Tim Smith is a local professional photographer who lives locally. When Ukraine declared itself independent in 1991 it sealed the final collapse of the Soviet Union. Tim’s images, taken in Ukraine on both sides of this pivotal moment, explore how the uncovering of a previously forbidden history helped to forge a new nation. They also show how the past frames the current conflict, as the ongoing loss of life and destruction of the physical landscape are driven by Putin’s desire to echo earlier Soviet ambitions: to obliterate Ukrainian culture and identity too.
- Summer Project Presentations - Teams 1,3,5 & 7 - Teams of club members show photographs from their '5 go photographing' summer project.
- Summer Project Presentations - Teams 2,4,6 & 8 - The next teams of club members show photographs from their '5 go photographing' summer project.
- Ian Beesley - Life: A Retrospective
- Bradford born and bred, Ian is a world-renowned social documentary photographer. He has spent much his career photographing working people and and working places, particularly in the North of England. In this talk, Ian will show photos from his major retrospective that was exhibited in Salts Mill, and recently published by Bluecoat Press.
- Nine by Nine by Nine - Nine club members talk about nine of their images, each having nine minutes to do so. We particularly encourage newer members to share their work in these evenings
30 - Digital Images final deadline - Running Competition Round 1: Mobile (Any photo originating from a mobile phone).
- The Yorkshire Photographic Union Portfolio - We will be showing prints and digital images that were selected for the most recent Yorkshire Photographic Union exhibition as well as discussing critique, judging and preparing your own work for competition entry.
- Running competition Round 1: Mobile - Photographs from Club members on the first running competition theme, photos taken on a mobile phone.
- Gerry Slade - Horses and Dogs
- Gerry is a local photographer who has worked with and been around animals practically all his life. His work is focussed on equine and dog photogaphary, including documenting the animals and their human companions that work for the emergency services.
-David Keep Underwater photography 1
– from swimming pools to sharks. David is an award winning photographer based in Chesterfield. We welcome him back to the club to talk about his underwater photography, from working with models in the swimming pool to photographing the magnificent creatures that swim in the oceans around our world.
27 - Members deadline Running Competition Round 2
- Terry Roberts & MIck Houghton - Our favourite landscapes - Terry and Mick are longstanding club members and accomplished award-winning landscape photographers, with distinct styles. They will share some of their secrets including their favourite spots and their approaches to taking and processing their superb images.
- Running competition Round 2: Portrait - Photographs from Club members on the second running competition theme, "Portrait" i.e. anything with a heartbeat.
- Stephen Cheatley - Weather and Astrophotography
- Blackpool-based Stephen is a freelance photographer who won Weather Photographer of the Year 2018. In his talk he will give tips on astrophotography and capturing different weather conditions.
25 - No Meeting - Christmas Day Bank Holiday
01 - No meeting - New Years Day Bank Holiday
- John Houlihan
- Commercial Photographer John will share his approach to taking photographs, reflecting on the developments in technology.
- Steve Race - Wildlife of the Yorkshire Coast
- Steve is an award-winning professional wildlife photographer based in Scarborough, North Yorkshire. He has been a keen naturalist and photographer for over 30 years, lived on the Yorkshire Coast all of his life and believes there is no better place for variety of habitats and amazing wildlife.
15 - Members deadline Running Competition Round 3
- Running Competition Round 3: Sport - Photographs from Club members on the third and final running competition theme, Sport.
- John McEvoy - Music and Sport photography
- Local Photographer John McEvoy is a professionial music photographer and reviewer for the Wall of Sound as well as a sport photographer. John will share his approach and some of his tips and tricks to getting stunning photos.
29 - Members deadline Annual Projected Images
- Joyce Simpson - Creative Imagery
- Club member, Joyce Simpson showcases her amazing creative works with some tips and insights into her methods.
- Annual Projected Image Competition - Bodies of Work - Sets of images from Club members, with an external judge providing critique and feedback
- Ben Draguisky - All Cities are Beautiful
- Manchester based Ben is a master of urban photography with a dream like quality. Even in the banal and nondescript architecture, he finds beauty in cities.
19 - Members deadline Presidents Challenge
- Presidents Challenge - Anything can happen - the challenge will be set to club members during the season.
26 - Members deadline Monochrome Prints
- Carl Bromwich - Club member, Carl Bromwich shares his photographic journey and interests.
- Annual Monochrome print Competition - Prints from Club members, with an external judge providing critique and feedback
- Lizzie Coombes - Lizzie Coombes AKA Betty Lawless is a photographer and artist with a long track record of cross art form collaboration and innovative community projects. She’s worked with a wide variety of people and organizations including Opera North, The National Media Museum, Leeds City Council, theatres festivals, and The Irene Taylor Trust, an organisation that work in prisons. In this talk, Lizzie brings us some of her recent work and her approach to her work.
- Nine by Nine by Nine - Nine club members talk about nine of their images, each having nine minutes to do so. We particularly encourage newer members to share their work in these evenings.
01 - Easter No meeting.
- The great debate - Photography has no rules, but does it? In this session we will discuss some of the controversial areas of photography that are important for camera clubs. Is it OK to use AI, and where is the line with 'regular' manipulation? When is wildlife photography not? Is nudity acceptable in club photography?
08 - Members deadline Annual Colour Print Images
- Darren Andrews
- Darren brings us photographs from his ongoing project Pleasureland - Photographs from the English Seaside which include amazing pictures of murmurations as well as of people and places around the Lancashire coast. He has worked for national and local newspapers and magazines during his career and now specialises in freelance assignments. He has exhibited at galleries throughout the UK including two solo shows in London and has work in the Royal Photographic Society Archive.
- Annual Colour Print competition - Prints from Club members, with an external judge providing critique and feedback.
- Rais Hasan - Inspirational Journey into Photography - Club member and Bradford District legend, Rais shares his passion for photography illustrated with some of his recent work.
06 - No Meeting - Mayday Bank Holiday
- Annual General Meeting and Award Presentation - Awards to club members for our annual competitions, our annual business meeting and review of the year.
- Annual Dinner - A local social get together to end the 2023/24 season.
Additional Diary Dates
11 Nov 2023
- Yorkshire Photograpic Union annual Keighley Day - with speakers Glyn Dewis and Ross McKelvey. To be held at Carleton Community Centre, Carleton Road, Pontefract WF8 3RJ Saturday November 11th 2023, 10am to 4pm. There is free car parking at the venue. Refreshments including a buet lunch, will be provided.This event is organised by YPU with a cost to them of £25 per person.
We also encourage members to organise their own photographic get-togethers – the club secretary can circulate details to all members by email (not everyone uses the Facebook or WhatsApp groups) or they can be added by committee members to the calendar